Exmouth and on with the fishing guru.

September 2011.

Next day G1 and I hit the west side and after 3 hours had our bag limit including a baldy, caught on one of the crabs of course and a huge pinky. A couple of charter boats came past us and must have reckoned we were mad, bobbing around in the teething ring out in the deep blue. Pretty sure we would have caught more fish than them that day.
We had a bonfire on the beach that night with the guys from KE as they were heading south no matter what. Turtle Bay was so nice we hung around for another couple of days before heading south. G1 was looking after GB, baiting her hook, removing the fish and baiting the hook again whilst having his own line going and doing the same. Unreal fishing. Woodsy would have loved this place. Each day a dugong would come up to the boat and float around, Chris’s story about the sailors rooting them kept on coming back to me,  but even if they were dressed up like a mermaid they just don’t do it for me.  The G’s went out the west side one day and came back with a couple of pearler pinkys which just about filled our bag limit each for fillets.
Next morning at 0400 we sadly farewelled Turtle Bay and headed for the finish line. We made it to south passage and the wind was just hitting 10 kns so we decided to keep motor sailing on into the arvo. We were about 3nm off the coast and the effect of the waves coming back off the zydeclops cliffs was definitely noticeable especially on the faces of the swell heading in towards them. G1 had the lines out but not much joy there. We set about our watches and an hour before sunup the lights of Kalbarri were pretty cool. We kept going for Port Gregory to leave ourselves a nice 30nm trip the following day as the guide said don’t go there in a yacht. We were so close to home I wasn’t taking to many risks now, getting old and sagged.
We drove into Port Gregory and found the place to be a mooring bonanza, there were at least 50 of them to choose from. We found one close to the jetty and shore and hooked up but it was a shocker. The current runs from the south behind the reef all the time and we had a slight breeze from the NW which kind of had us moving into the current, add to this really long hausers off the buoys and we were risking getting our sail drives caught up. Pain in the arse, couldn’t believe it. We moved on to look for something better and came across one that was full on fouled with a weed mountain to the bottom and as luck would have it, it was perfect for Boomerang. We cracked a few beers and wines then hit the beach and went for a look see around the bustling township of Port Gregory. There’s a shop that sells just about everything and that’s it besides a caravan park, that I remember going to when I was really young with the family to visit aunty Else and uncle Elma. We met a couple of dodgy buggers putting up a real estate sign on their neighbors property, we asked how much it was for sale for, they informed us that it wasn’t for sale and that the neighbors were coming home from 3 months holiday that afternoon. Ended up Dennis had worked with him a Beenup. Small world. Guess there wasn’t much else to do there. Street drinking and drink driving are rife.
Heading back to the boat we had a chat with some oldies and was down on the beach when a boat pulled in. We checked them out. Dennis knew this old blokes mate from Augusta, getting smaller that world, so yacked for a while with them and finally got back to the boat for a feed, beers and stories of Dennis’s younger days crayfishing with his dad. Hooting, reminded me of my granddad. Hit the sack for our last night at sea.
Woke up at sparrows and motor sailed in 10kns SE all the way to Geraldton. Great way to finish our journey and we motored past the Pacific Sun cruise ship, just happened that the Calabrese mob were all on a family holiday aboard. Would have loved to see Mario on the deck waving at us but we couldn’t contact him. We raised all the courtesy flags we had accumulated on our journey in order. Of course we had the boxing Kangaroo at the top, under that the yank flag, the Bahaman, Columbian, Panamanian, Equadorian, French Polynesian, Samoan, Fijian and finally the flag of Vanuatu. It looked pretty daggy but there was nothing else to dress Boomerang up with.
At the jetty we were met by the original G1, Murray who came from Florida to Galapagus and then the Calabrese’s, Gold Coast to Cairns, Emma our excellent host in Exmouth and Kaitlan,
Bev and Ray Wakelin from AYC. Moet and coronas followed which seemed to keep the dream alive for just that little bit longer. When it all was over, The Cala’s went back to their ship, Muz dropped Dennis off at his plane, Jen and I kicked back and for the first time reality started to hit me, spewing.
We hung around Gero for another week and a half, tried to make Boomerang safe at the jetty with the help from Murray’s dad John showing me how to splice ropes but it was all in vain as the surge, wind and bloody seagull shit made the decision to haul her out and leave her on the hard stand for summer an easy one. Got to spend some time with cousins Greg and Leigh who helped organize repairs to the starboard rudder which was really making a doonk doonk noise by now. We scrubbed and polished both inside and out and pretty much gave her a birthday.
We headed back home and as we were in the air all the jobs that I had forgotten just came to me.
We had been home for a week, work was a bit slow so Moe, dad and I went up and knocked all the jobs off so now she is packed up and just waiting to go.                                                                                                                                                                  Where to next. I reckon it will have to be a lap.
Well that’s about it, thank you Darrel Mac for accompanying me from Cape Coral to Fort Lauderdale, David Myres for guiding me up and down the New River, Muz for Learning with me as we went along from Fort Lauderdale, Bahamas, Columbia, San Blas, Panama and Galapagos. Moe the same as Muz but a lot more too and for your company on the puddle jump, Olivia for being a good mate of Moe and joining us from Tahiti  to western Samoa,  Jen for letting me buy a yacht and go off cruising the world and jumping on from Tahiti to Vanuatu and then the Witsundays to Geraldton, Walter and Ilona for the almost lap of Bora Bora, The Lukes as we fished and drank our way from Fiji to Vanuatu, Joe for her hardwork and fishing prowess from Vanuatu to Brisbane, the excellent Customs officers in Brisbane, Cala for the hard work and all the fun we had from Gold Coast to Cairns, even if we had nearly the worst conditions for the whole voyage, Maria for the filthy pizzas from Airlie Beach to Cairns, Chris for some big overnighters and not breaking anything between Cairns and Darwin, Rhys and Kellie for fixing the motor and hitting the Low Islands with us,  Matt and Charmaine for guiding us around Darwin both on land and on the water, Chris for actually coming and catching fingermaks at the gaps, you never know if you don’t have a go, Woodsy for almost catching a Barra in the dinghy on the way from Darwin to Broome, Pete and Luke celebrating a premature finish to the voyage in Carnarvon and Dennis for the fishing lesson and the amount you enjoyed yourself between Exmouth and Geraldton.
All up Boomerang and crew travelled close to 14000nm, 26000km,



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s